Qualifying families can receive advance payments of the Child Tax Credit in monthly payments starting this summer. The total Child Tax Credit is worth $3,600 for children five and under and $3,000 for children six through 17. Families could receive up to $300 per month for younger children and up to $250 per month for older children. The IRS will use information from 2019 or 2020 tax returns to determine if you are qualified. SEVCA’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program can help families who aren’t required to file a tax return provide information to the IRS.
To qualify for advance Child Tax Credit payments, you — and your spouse, if you filed a joint return — must have:
• A main home in the United States for more than half the year or file a joint return with a spouse who has a main home in the United States for more than half the year; and
• A qualifying child who is under age 18 at the end of 2021 and who has a valid Social Security number; and
• Made less than certain income limits; and
• Filed a 2019 or 2020 tax return and claimed the Child Tax Credit on the return; or
• Given the IRS your information in 2020 to receive the Economic Impact Payment (also called the stimulus payment) using the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool.
People who filed a 2019 or 2020 tax return or submitted information to the IRS last year to register for the Economic Impact Payments (stimulus payments) do not need to take action to receive child tax credits.
Child Tax Credits aren’t taxable and aren’t counted as income when determining if you are eligible for benefits or assistance.
SEVCA can also help if you have not received the first two rounds of Economic Impact Payments. You must have a Social Security number, you cannot be supported by someone who can claim you as a dependent, and you must file a 2020 tax return to receive the money.
Call SEVCA at 802-722-4575 for more information and to make an appointment for free Child Tax Credit and Economic Impact Payment tax preparation services on the following dates:
June 25, 2021 – Windsor Resource Center -- 9am – 4:30pm –1 Railroad Avenue, Windsor, VT
June 26, 2021 – SEVCA’s Main Office -- 9am – 4:30pm -- 91 Buck Drive, Westminster, VT
July 09, 2021 – Windsor Resource Center -- 9am – 4:30pm – 1 Railroad Avenue, Windsor, VT
July 10, 2021 – SEVCA’s Main Office -- 9am – 4:30pm – 91 Buck Drive, Westminster, VT
SEVCA is proud to be a part of this event to help our communities in the Windham and Windsor County areas.