Help with Health Coverage
Navigating public health systems doesn't have to be painful
Need help to get Medicaid or health insurance on the public exchange? Having difficulty with the process of renewing your benefits or adjusting your coverage? SEVCA’s Health Navigator is available to help families and individuals in Windham or Windsor Counties get or keep the coverage they need to stay healthy and/or obtain treatment.
Since the introduction of the Affordable Care Act in Vermont, Health Navigators have made an important contribution to expanding health insurance coverage for many formerly uninsured individuals and families. Navigators were accessible in a number of locations throughout the state, and helped people to enroll in appropriate VT Health Connect programs as well as Medicaid, and to assist with renewals or changes in circumstances. In the current policy environment, in which the Affordable Care Act has been under attack, there has been very little funding to provide outreach and assistance to the many people who continue to need advice about their health care coverage.
Thanks to a grant from the Fanny Holt Ames and Edna Louise Holt Fund, SEVCA has been able to continue our Health Navigation program, helping hundreds of people access or maintain their coverage. Our Health Navigator, Alicia Moyer, is available to help the many people who become eligible for a Health Connect plan or Medicaid, lose eligibility and need an advocate, or who must transition to a different health coverage option based on changes in circumstances. The following quotes from people we’ve assisted show how much SEVCA’s clients value this service:
- “Alicia was really helpful. I am SO grateful….I felt immediately at ease and comfortable. Please know how incredibly valuable this program is for helping us navigate the complex health care system.”
- “I recently lost my job and health insurance—then I saw an article in the newspaper about SEVCA’s new Health Navigator. I was able to reach her easily by phone and we made an appointment to meet in Brattleboro. Alicia was friendly and so helpful and patient. She was able to help my husband and me set up health insurance right there during that meeting. It was great…thank you!”
- “Alicia truly went above and beyond trying to help me qualify for the best health insurance possible and then helped me sift through the details of each plan to ensure I would receive the best fit for my needs. She spent a lot of time making sure I could access health care without delay and I could not have had a better experience!”
- “We could not have done this on our own. The help we got not only made the process of selecting an insurance plan almost easy, but also saved us a lot of money.”
- “I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place until I had the opportunity to speak with Alicia Moyer. Not only did she display a large amount of compassion towards my situation, but she took immediate action to set me in the right direction and (show me) how to utilize the proper resources. I learned that I was eligible to receive a 50% discount for something very important that I need to undergo medically. I am extremely grateful for Alicia’s assistance.”
Those in need of help with accessing health coverage through Medicaid or Health Connect can make an appointment with Alicia at locations in Westminster, Brattleboro, and White River Junction—call us at (800) 464-9951. She is also available for phone consultations.